April 27, 2011
Police warned protesters that “robust” action would be taken against anyone planning to disrupt the royal wedding, with more activists expected to be arrested ahead of Friday’s ceremony.
In the past nine days police have arrested six people wanted in connection with violence during last month’s TUC march, amid fears that they might be planning similar protests along the wedding route.
Scotland Yard said it was expecting to make several more arrests this week as part of a serious covert investigation. More than 60 people arrested in recent demonstrations have already been banned from central London on Friday as part of their bail conditions.
Lynne Owens, the assistant commissioner in charge of the policing operation on the day, said: “We have to be absolutely clear. If anyone comes to London intending to commit criminal acts, we will act quickly, robustly and decisively.” She said the Met was working with forces across the country and would use “spotters” to identify those causing trouble.
This article was posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 at 7:32 am