September 10, 2019
12 people have died and 639 people have been arrested following the recent xenophobic unrest that began in Pretoria and made its way to the Johannesburg CBD.
Those who have been arrested will be going through the justice system, according to Police Minister Bheki Cele, who on Monday addressed a stakeholder summit hosted by the South African Chamber of Commerce and Industry following the recent spate of attacks against foreign nationals in the country.
Cele said the unrest would not be supported.
“Nobody anywhere should think that anybody supports this kind of behaviour, whether by South Africans or by foreign nationals in South Africa,” Cele said.
He also dispelled alleged misconceptions that Nigerian president Muhammad Buhari’s upcoming visit to South Africa was brought on by the xenophobic attacks against foreigners.
“In a few weeks the president of Nigeria, [Muhammad Buhari], will be coming on a state visit to South Africa. He will be received by the president of South Africa,” Cele said.
“This decision [to visit South Africa] was taken last year when President Cyril Ramaphosa visited Nigeria,” Cele said.
South African-owned stores such as Shoprite and MTN closed their doors in Nigeria last week after their premises were attacked, supposedly in retaliation to the violence that was meted out against foreigners in South Africa. This included Nigerian-owned businesses.
This article was posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 5:28 am