June 7, 2019
BAGHDAD — The top commander of U.S. forces in the Middle East says he believes the Iranians or their proxies may orchestrate an attack at any moment.
“I think the threat is imminent,” Marine Gen. Frank McKenzie said in an exclusive broadcast interview with NBC News in the Iraqi capital. “We continually evaluate our force posture in the region.”
The U.S. has beefed up its military presence in the region in an effort to deter Iran and protect American forces and allies.
Over the last month, the Trump administration announced that it was sending an aircraft carrier strike group and Air Force bombersto the Middle East, as well as Patriot missiles and additional troops, amid heightened concerns of an Iranian attack.
McKenzie stressed that tensions remain high.
“I don’t actually believe the threat has diminished,” McKenzie said after holding a series of meetings with the Iraqi prime minister and defense chief. “…I believe the threat is still very real.”
This article was posted: Friday, June 7, 2019 at 4:37 am