October 8, 2013
WASHINGTON – A US official on Tuesday said the United States was leaning toward withholding most military aid to Egypt except to promote counterterrorism, security in the Sinai Peninsula and other such priorities.
The official said US President Barack Obama had not made a final decision on the issue, which has vexed US officials as they balance a desire to be seen promoting democracy and rights with a desire to keep up some cooperation with Egypt’s military.
The White House denied that any change had been made in its policy on aid to Egypt.
“The reports that we are halting all military assistance to Egypt are false. We will announce the future of our assistance relationship with Egypt in the coming days,” National Security Council spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden said.
This article was posted: Wednesday, October 9, 2013 at 5:09 am