Terence P. Jeffrey
Oct 15, 2012
Sen. Lindsey Graham (R.-S.C.), a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said on CBS’s “Face the Nation” on Sunday that the U.S. intelligence community in Libya informed the administration in Washington, D.C., within 24 hours of the Sept. 11, 2012 attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya that the attack had been a terrorist strike whose perpetrators included militia associated with al Qaeda.
Graham said the fact that the administration was still publicly declaring more than five days later that the attack may have arisen as a spontaneous protest indicated that either “they are misleading or incredibly incompetent.”
“Well, the facts are there was never a riot,” Graham told Bob Schieffer of CBS News. “The night in question, September 11, Ambassador [Chris] Stevens was being visited by the Turkish ambassador. There wasn’t a soul around the compound. And the coordinated attack lasted for hours with al Qaeda-associated militia.
“My belief is that that was known by the administration within 24 hours,” said Graham. “And, quite frankly, [U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations] Susan Rice, on your show on September 16, the president on the 18th, and the 25th, kept talking about an attack inspired by a video. They`re trying to sell a narrative, quite frankly, that the Mid-East, the wars are receding and al Qaeda’s been dismantled, and to admit that our embassy was attacked by al Qaeda operatives and Libya leading from behind didn’t work. I think undercuts that narrative. They never believed the media would investigate. Congress was out of session, and this caught up with them.
This article was posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 at 2:45 am